Type by Hand, New York 24-6-17
June 24 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm$285
With an emphasis on doing rather than watching, we will introduce you to the world of expressive handlettering. After starting with an examination of different styles, we will explore ways to fit words together, make creative joins between letters, learn how to do flourishing and look at examples of various handlettering styles. You will also get the opportunity to test out various types of handlettering tools including ruling pens, broad-nib pens and brushes. You will work on your own handlettered piece and Wayne will show you through his process of sketching and refining using tracing paper. You will get personal guidance from Wayne, and you’ll go home with new techniques, inspiration and enthusiasm for expressive lettering.
Please note: Vectoring techniques are not covered in detail by this class (although we may briefly touch on them) due to time constraints.
Program of events:
- Introduction to different handlettering styles
- Participants begin pencil work on a word or phrase
- Introduction to letter-fitting, ligatures, hierarchy, flourishes and alternate forms
- Participants continue work on pencil drawings, incorporating the techniques above
- Lunch break
- Introduction to brushpen technique: pressure, spacing & rhythm
- Participants introduce a style to their phrase using brushpen on tracing paper
- Participants use pencil and tracing paper to re-work their phrase, refining spacing, stroke thickness and stress
EQUIPMENT: We will give you a Tombow brush pen to take home, but please bring some graphite pencils, a ruler, a rubber and whatever tools you would normally draw with. Also bring a word or phrase you would like to produce on the day (swear words preferred). Paper is supplied for you on the day, but you are welcome to bring a sketchbook.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: This class is designed for participants who have a professional or personal interest in typography, art or design who would like to improve their lettering skills. Beginners and professionals welcome, it’s all about learning!
YOUR TUTORS: Wayne Thompson is an Australian type designer, hand letterer and type educator. Nikita Prokhorov is a New York City designer and hand lettering practitioner with a special interest in ambigrams.